Here are a few prominent decorating trends I observed while walking the endless halls of showrooms at the Spring 2013 HighPoint Market. You’ll notice the common thread in each of these styles is simple lines and understated decor.
There was an abundance of geometric detail in everything from hard furnishings like chairs, mirrors, and lighting to area rugs and upholstered furnishings. But these aren’t the random geometric patterns in soft pastel colors from the 1980’s (if you admit to being old enough to remember that!). Rather, today’s geometrics reflect an updated, sophisticated design with symmetrical, repeating shapes that combine to form a refined, overall pattern. The simple lines and muted color palette offer a clean, modern look that can be effortlessly combined with both contemporary and traditional furnishings.
Moroccan design also incorporates repeating geometric patterns, but with soft, gentle curves and intricate detail. The modern interpretation of traditional Moroccan style is less ornate with a lighter feel and softer hues. Much of the Moroccan influence I noticed was not just in textiles likes rugs and upholstery, but in lighting, mirrors and artwork. These furnishings add a worldly, well-traveled sophistication to a space. The best part is, if you like this look, you don’t have to theme an entire room — just a few simple pieces will do the trick.
This trend really comes down to reuse, refurbish and repurpose. The down-to -earth aesthetic of the Industrial style combines an interesting mix of materials like raw wood, leather and linen with sleek, polished metals such as steel and copper. Colors are consistently calm and neutral and the feel is nostalgic, reminiscent of simpler times. I love the mix of the exposed filament bulb against the modern glass globe. In an era fixated on the latest and greatest technology and gadgets, there’s something strangely comforting about seeing vintage materials repurposed into modern furnishings.
Designer Do: Mixing Styles
What is the most effective way to mix disparate styles…say Modern with Rustic or Cottage with Old World? Try the 80-20 rule. As long as 80% of your interior is unified by the same style and aesthetic, you can deviate with the other 20%. Color in upholstery fabric or other decor can serve as a unifying factor when mixing different styles. The ‘wow’ factor in a room can be the perfect place to introduce a different style in just the right mix.